Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a process of evaluating the environmental impacts caused by a proposed project or development, taking into account inter-related socio-economic, cultural, and human-health impacts, both beneficial and adverse. The purpose of the assessment is to ensure that developers of a project consider the impacts caused on the environment throughout the whole procedure.
As a country full of Environmental resources Sri Lanka has given high priority to economic development to raise the standard of living of its citizens. Thus environmental resources must be safeguarded and improved to sustain development. Both Primary and Secondary impacts during the construction stage and functioning stage will be considered for this assessment. EIA can be introduced as a detailed assessment on the following topics,
- General information of the Project
- Project Details such as where it is located, Specific premises, Drainage management, waste disposal facilities and important details about the construction period.
- Detailed analysis of Existing Environment under following divisions. -Topography, Geology and Soil Characteristics, Meteorology, Hydrology, Ecological Resources, Land Use, Noise, History of natural disasters, social/cultural sensitive areas, Historical & Archaeological importance, Socio-economic Environment.
- Anticipated environmental impacts of the project will be discussed under Physical impacts, Ecological resources, Socio economic/cultural aspects, and Traffic Impacts.
- Proposed Mitigation Measures
- Monitoring program
- Conclusion and Recommendation
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a straightforward process and a part of the strategy to achieve sustainable development. The legal framework for the EIA process in Sri Lanka has been laid down in the National Environmental Act (NEA) in 1988.
Depending on the project and anticipated impacts environmental assessment can be catogorized as following
- ECC – Environmental Consultative Committee Report
- IEE – Initial Environmental Examination Report
- EIA – Environmental Impact Assessment Report
ACE Solutions possesses a highly expert panel to conduct environmental assessment.
Please also refer our recent environmental assessments conducted here.